Level of Evidence
- Smeeing D.P.J.
- van der Ven D.J.C.
- Hietbrink F.
- et al.
Stepped-Care Models of Health Care Delivery for Managing Orthopaedic Injuries
Using Failure to Respond to Nonsurgical Treatment as Part of Surgical Appropriateness Criteria
- Khoja S.S.
- Almeida G.J.
- Freburger J.K.
- Khoja S.S.
- Almeida G.J.
- Freburger J.K.
Practical Reasons That Adequate Nonsurgical Care May Be Dismissed Prior to Surgery
- Hopewell S.
- Keene D.J.
- Marian I.R.
- et al.
Recommendations for Future Practice and Research
- ICMJE author disclosure forms
- Surgical versus nonsurgical treatment for midshaft clavicle fractures in patients aged 16 years and older: A systematic review, meta-analysis, and comparison of randomized controlled trials and observational studies.Am J Sports Med. 2017; 45: 1937-1945
- Surgical or non-surgical treatment of traumatic skeletal fractures in adults: Systematic review and meta-analysis of benefits and harms.Syst Rev. 2020; 9: 179
- Common elective orthopaedic procedures and their clinical effectiveness: Umbrella review of level 1 evidence.. 2021; 374: n1511
- A randomized, controlled trial of total knee replacement.N Engl J Med. 2015; 373: 1597-1606
- Total joint arthroplasty and the risk of myocardial infarction: A general population, propensity score-matched cohort study.Arthritis Rheumatol. 2015; 67: 2771-2779
- Return to play and future ACL injury risk after ACL reconstruction in soccer athletes from the Multicenter Orthopaedic Outcomes Network (MOON) group.Am J Sports Med. 2012; 40: 2517-2522
- One in 5 athletes sustain reinjury upon return to high-risk sports after ACL reconstruction: A systematic review in 1239 athletes younger than 20 years.Sports Health. 2020; 12: 587-597
- Risk of secondary injury in younger athletes after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction: A systematic review and meta-analysis.Am J Sports Med. 2016; 44: 1861-1876
- Prevention and management of post-operative complications following ACL reconstruction.Curr Rev Musculoskelet Med. 2017; 10: 315-321
- Postoperative infection after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction.Sports Health. 2016; 8: 187-189
- Stepped collaborative care for primary care patients with persistent symptoms of depression: A randomized trial.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1999; 56: 1109-1115
- Stepped care treatment delivery for depression: A systematic review and meta-analysis.Psychol Med. 2015; 45: 231-246
- Non-specific low back pain.Lancet. 2017; 389: 736-747
- Stepped care for back pain: Activating approaches for primary care.Ann Intern Med. 2001; 134: 911-917
- Adherence to stepped care for management of musculoskeletal knee pain leads to lower health care utilization, costs, and recurrence.Am J Med. 2021; 134: 351-360.e1
- What does best practice care for musculoskeletal pain look like? Eleven consistent recommendations from high-quality clinical practice guidelines: Systematic review.Br J Sports Med. 2020; 54: 79-86
- 2019 American College of Rheumatology/Arthritis Foundation Guideline for the Management of Osteoarthritis of the Hand, Hip, and Knee.Arthritis Care Res. 2020; 72: 220-233
- Management of rotator cuff injuries.J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2020; 28: e193-e201
- Effect of early surgery vs physical therapy on knee function among patients with nonobstructive meniscal tears: The ESCAPE randomized clinical trial.JAMA. 2018; 320: 1328-1337
- Measuring low-value care in Medicare.JAMA Intern Med. 2014; 174: 1067-1076
- Prevalence and consistency in surgical outcome reporting for femoroacetabular impingement syndrome: A scoping review.Arthroscopy. 2018; 34: 1319-1328.e9
- Nonoperative management prior to hip arthroscopy for femoroacetabular impingement syndrome: An investigation into the utilization and content of physical therapy.J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2019; 49: 593-600
- Is exercise therapy for femoroacetabular impingement in or out of FASHIoN? We need to talk about current best practice for the non-surgical management of FAI syndrome.Br J Sports Med. 2019; 53: 1204-1205
- Are exercise and physical therapy common forms of conservative management in the year before lumbar spine surgery?.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2020; 101: 1389-1395
- An epidemiologic analysis of clinical practice guidelines for non-arthroplasty treatment of osteoarthritis of the knee.Arthroscopy. 2014; 30: 65-71
- Associations between preoperative physical therapy and post-acute care utilization patterns and cost in total joint replacement.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2014; 96: e165
- Physical therapy and opioid use for musculoskeletal pain management: Competitors or companions?.Pain Rep. 2020; 5: e827
- Recommendation rates for physical therapy, lifestyle counseling, and pain medications for managing knee osteoarthritis in ambulatory care settings: A cross-sectional analysis of the National Ambulatory Care Survey (2007-2015).Arthritis Care Res. 2020; 72: 184-192
- Insurance coverage, costs, and barriers to care for outpatient musculoskeletal therapy and rehabilitation services.N C Med J. 2017; 78: 312-314
- Factors impacting physical therapy utilization for patients with nonspecific low back pain: Retrospective analysis of a clinical data set.Phys Ther. 2020; 100: 1502-1515
- Misconceptions and the Acceptance of Evidence-based Nonsurgical Interventions for Knee Osteoarthritis. A Qualitative Study.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2019; 477: 1975-1983
- OARSI guidelines for the non-surgical management of knee, hip, and polyarticular osteoarthritis.Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2019; 27: 1578-1589
- The pain-relieving qualities of exercise in knee osteoarthritis.Open Access Rheumatol. 2013; 5: 81-91
- Exercise and knee osteoarthritis: Benefit or hazard?.Can Fam Physician. 2009; 55: 871-878
- How do middle-aged patients conceive exercise as a form of treatment for knee osteoarthritis?.Disabil Rehabil. 2006; 28: 51-59
- Diagnostic labels for rotator cuff disease can increase people’s perceived need for shoulder surgery: An online randomized controlled experiment.J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2021; 51: 401-411
- Words do matter: A systematic review on how different terminology for the same condition influences management preferences.BMJ Open. 2017; 7e014129
- Patients’ expectations regarding medical treatment: A critical review of concepts and their assessment.Front Psychol. 2017; 8: 233
- The expectation game: Patient comprehension is a determinant of outcome.Arthroscopy. 2015; 31: 2283-2284
- Patients’ expectations predict surgery outcomes: A meta-analysis.Int J Behav Med. 2016; 23: 49-62
- Expectations predict chronic pain treatment outcomes.Pain. 2016; 157: 329-338
- Making the right treatment decision requires consideration of utility and reconsideration of value.Arthroscopy. 2017; 33: 239-241
- Progressive exercise compared with best practice advice, with or without corticosteroid injection, for the treatment of patients with rotator cuff disorders (GRASP): A multicentre, pragmatic, 2 × 2 factorial, randomised controlled trial.Lancet. 2021; 398: 416-428
- Physical therapy vs internet-based exercise training for patients with knee osteoarthritis: Results of a randomized controlled trial.Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2018; 26: 383-396
- Providing value-based care as a physiotherapist.Arch Physiother. 2021; 11: 12
- The influence of exercise dosing on outcomes in patients with knee disorders: A systematic review.J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2018; 48: 146-161
- The influence of dosing on effect size of exercise therapy for musculoskeletal foot and ankle disorders: A systematic review.Braz J Phys Ther. 2018; 22: 20-32
- Dosage of preventive or therapeutic exercise interventions: Review of published randomized controlled trials and survey of authors.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2017; 98: 2558-2565.e10
- Do the number of visits and the cost of musculoskeletal care improve outcomes? More may not be better.J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2020; 50: 642-648
- Exercise acts as a drug; the pharmacological benefits of exercise.Br J Pharmacol. 2012; 167: 1-12
- Dose-response effects of medical exercise therapy in patients with patellofemoral pain syndrome: A randomised controlled clinical trial.Physiotherapy. 2013; 99: 126-131
- Dose-response matters! A perspective on the exercise prescription in exercise-cognition research.Front Psychol. 2019; 10: 2338
- Feasibility of a randomized clinical trial for treatment of femoroacetabular impingement of the hip.Orthop J Sports Med. 2015; 3 (2325967115592844)
- Editorial: How the words we use affect the care we deliver.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2016; 474: 2079-2080
- Physician communication and patient adherence to treatment: A meta-analysis.Med Care. 2009; 47: 826-834
- Differences in perceptions among radiologists, referring physicians, and patients regarding language for incidental findings reporting.Am J Roentgenol. 2017; 208: 140-143
- Predictors of outcomes after rotator cuff repair—A meta-analysis.J Hand Ther. 2017; 30: 276-292
- Predictors of outcomes of total knee replacement surgery.Rheumatology. 2012; 51: 1804-1813
- Effective therapeutic exercise prescription: The right exercise at the right dose.J Hand Ther. 2012; 25: 220-231
The authors report that they have no conflicts of interest in the authorship and publication of this article. Full ICMJE author disclosure forms are available for this article online, as supplementary material.
User LicenseCreative Commons Attribution – NonCommercial – NoDerivs (CC BY-NC-ND 4.0) |
For non-commercial purposes:
- Read, print & download
- Redistribute or republish the final article
- Text & data mine
- Translate the article (private use only, not for distribution)
- Reuse portions or extracts from the article in other works
- Sell or re-use for commercial purposes
- Distribute translations or adaptations of the article
Elsevier's open access license policy